The WW2 Roll of Honour:
Surnames O - P

H. Orton



Rifleman 14218944  John Edward Oswin


9th Bn., Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Died on 26th June 1944, Aged 18.                                                                                      

Buried St. Manvieu War Cemetery, France, VI. H. 8.


Mr. and Mrs., John Oswin, of Woodhouse Lane Nanpantan, have received a letter from their sons C.O. containing the sad news of the death of their son during the fighting in Normandy. Lance Corporal. John Edward Oswin was only eighteen and a half years old and he had been in the Army for the past two years. When he was just 16 he volunteered.
The first his parents heard of his death was from one of his serving pals, and the letter said that at the same time another of L/Corporal, Oswin's particular friends was also killed. He was at the Brush Works before joining up, and he also served as a part time Fireman. His sister Pte. Dorothy Oswin has seen one and a half year's service with the A.T.S. 

Sergeant 937835 Raymond Ottey

261 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

Died 2nd May 1941, Aged 20.

Commemorated Malta Memorial, panel 2, column 1.
Raymond Ottey was born in Loughborough in 1921. He was the only son of Cyril Harry Ottey and May Laurie Ottey (née James). Raymond's parents were married at Holy Trinity Church, Barrow on Soar, Leicestershire, on 5th May 1912 and Raymond had two sisters Clarice and Ellen. In 1921 the Ottey family lived at 16 Rutland Street, Loughborough, but in 1925 moved to 174 St. Saviour's Road, Leicester. Raymond's father was a joiner and a member of the Amalgamated Society of Carpenters, Cabinetmakers and Joiners. In 1925 he set up a joinery and building business in Asfordby Street, Leicester and in 1927 went into partnership with Arthur Clegg, to trade under the name Ottey and Clegg. The partnership was dissolved in 1934 and in 1937 Raymond's father went bankrupt.

Between 1932 and 1938 Raymond was educated at Gateway Grammar School, Leicester. He wanted to be an actor, but war broke out and he joined the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. His father, who had been with the Royal Flying Corps in WW1, returned to the RAF as a Crown Sergeant, whose job was bringing crashed aircrews home.

Raymond was killed at Kalafrana Air Base during a German air raid on Malta on the night of 2nd/3rd May 1941.

Photo courtesy of Asia War


R. Overton


Major 47690 Peter William Paget M.C.


Royal Scots Greys (2nd Dragoons), Royal Armoured Corps

Died on 11th July 1944, Aged 35.

Buried Banneville-La-Campagne War Cemetery, XI. C. 1.


News has been received that Major Peter William Paget, M.C, of Nanpantan Hall, has been killed in action. He was 35 years of age and was the son of Mrs. Paget of Nanpantan Hall, and of the late Mr., W, E, Paget, for several years Master of the Quorn Hounds. Major Paget was educated at Eton College and Trinity College Cambridge. Whilst at Trinity he was Master of the Trinity Foot Beagles, a position held by his late father, who was also at Trinity College. After leaving College Major Paget served with the Royal Scots Greys and later, on taking up residence at Nanpantan Hall, served with the Leicestershire Yeomanry. He was a popular officer in the Yeomanry amongst the many local members. When the war broke out Major Paget rejoined his old regiment. He served in the eighth Army in the North African campaign and was wounded at El Alamein. He was awarded the Military Cross during the North African campaign. In peacetime Major Paget was Master of the North Atherstone and also hunted with the Quorn. The news of his death in action will be received with regret by the many tenants and employees on the Paget estate, who had much respect for him.


Sergeant 366401 Alfred Hubert Payne

53 Sqdn., Royal Air Force

Died on 27th May 1940, Aged 30.

Buried Faumont Churchyard, France.

Sergeant 1583937  Geoffrey Oswald Payne


623 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

Died on 8th November 1943, Aged 20.

Commemorated Runnymede Memorial


Official notification from the Air Ministry has been received by Mr. E. A. Payne, assistant Justices clerk at Loughborough, that his elder son, Flight Engineer Sergeant Geoffrey Payne, is missing after operations. Flight Sergeant G, Payne was home on leave in Loughborough recently.  He is 20 yeas of age. Before the beginning of business at the Evening Court at Loughborough on Wednesday night the Chairman (Captain C, E, Huston) expressed sympathy with Mr. Payne as to the report of his son being missing and trusted he would soon have news of his safety. Similar sentiments expressing hope for the safety of the missing airman were expressed by Supt, J. A. Darling and Special Supt. A. Street. 


Corporal 4972537 Edward Vernon Peacock


2nd Bn., Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Died on 24th April 1943, Aged 29.

Buried Massicault War Cemetery, Tunisia, III. L. 18.


A Loughborough family has had a sad blow this week.  They are the father, sisters, and brothers of Corporal Edward Vernon Peacock, who has been reported, killed in action in North Africa in April of this year. Corporal Peacock, whose father, Mr. Walter Peacock, lives at 21, Sparrow hill, Loughborough, worked for a short time previous to the outbreak of war at Messrs, Wright and Sons, Market Street, Loughborough. He left the Regular Army, of which he been a member for 12 years and was placed on the Reserve about three months before the outbreak of war, when he was recalled. Among the places he had visited while in the army had been India, Jamaica, Channel Islands, Egypt and the Sudan.  As a member of a regiment which has gained renown in this war.  Corporal Peacock took part in the Dieppe raid.  Earlier he had fought in France, being evacuated from Dunkirk. He passed all his instructional courses while in the Army, and he has been described as a typical soldier who saw no danger.  He was well liked by everyone. Just before Christmas he married Miss Palmer, of Manor Road, Shelthorpe, Loughborough.  He was 29 years of age. Mr. Walter Peacock served for four years in the last war, gaining the rank of Sergeant.  He is now a pensioner.


Signalman 2595202  Sydney Peat

Royal Corps of Signals

Died on 15th August 1942, Aged 30.

Commemorated Nottingham Crematorium Panel 4.

Trooper 10600119  John Herbert Peaty

56th Regt., Reconnaissance Corps, R.A.C.

Died on 30th November 1944.

Buried Florence War Cemetery, Italy, IV. J. 3.

Trooper 14489619  John Geoffrey Peberdy

15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars, Royal Armoured Corps

Died on 16th March 1946, Aged 19.

Buried Fayid War Cemetery, Egypt, 5. F. 25.

Craftsman10559601 James William Pegg 


6 Tank Bde. Workshops, Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers

Died on 24th June 1944, Aged 24.

Buried Lenham Cemetery, UK, Grave 35.


Craftsman James William Pegg. R.E.M.E. elder son of Mr. and Mrs., W, Pegg, of 41, Falcon Street, Loughborough, is officially reported killed by enemy action. Aged 24, he had been in the Army for three and a half years, and previously was employed by Messrs, Herbert Morris, Ltd, Loughborough. 


Rifleman 4862949  Kenneth Pepper


1st Bn. The London Irish Rifles, Royal Ulster Rifles

Died on 6th April 1945, Aged 32.

Buried Argenta Gap War Cemetery, Italy, II, C, 12.                                                                                     


Private, Kenneth Pepper, mother, lives at 6, Garton Road, Loughborough. Private Pepper has been abroad for two and half years and took part in the invasion of Sicily and the landings at Salerno, after which he served in the Italian campaign with the Fifth Army. He is now in the Middle East. Prior to joining H.M. Forces he was employed by the Mac Fisheries, High Street.

Driver T/221193  Samuel Pepper


Royal Army Service Corps

Died on6th May 1944, Aged 33.

Buried Loughborough Cemetery, 373/25.


With the intention of putting his khaki blouse under his seat in the driver's cab in order to keep it clean, a 33 year old soldier, Driver Samuel Pepper, R. A, S, C, whose home was at 9, Regent Street, Loughborough, climbed out onto the running board of a fifty ton, fully laden tank transporter, lost his balance and fell under the wheels of the huge vehicle.  He was killed instantly. 

The verdict at an inquest at Hatfield, Herts, on Monday, when the Deputy Coroner for Hertford (Mr, E, A, Williams) heard the facts of this story was accidental death. Driver Leonard Arthur Sharp, R, A, S, C, the driver of the tank transporter, told Mr, Williams that Pepper, who was his second driver, decided to remove his blouse as they were traveling along the Barnet by pass road just outside Hatfield on May 6th.  He took it off in the cab, opened the door and stood on the running board.  The reason for doing this was because it was impossible to stand up in the cab and move the seat.  Pepper had done this before, as he was anxious always to keep his blouse clean. Sharp stated that he did not pay much attention as he was intent on driving, and the next time I looked at him," he continued "he was disappearing as he fell back out of the door," Lieutenant, Peter Audaer Overend Wilson, R, A, M, C, who saw Pepper at a military hospital, stated that he was suffering from extensive fractures and ruptures. The sympathy of the War Department was expressed by Mr, L, E, Giffin, who appeared for them. 




J. C. Pitt




Gunner 326685 John (Jack) Pollard

154 (The Leicestershire Yeomanry) Field Regt., Royal Artillery

Died on 29th June 1941 Aged 22.

Buried Loughborough Cemetery, 346/3.

Sergeant 1163881 William Powell

83 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

Died on 1st November 1941, Aged 21.

Commemorated Runnymede Memorial

Flight Sergeant 546681 Alexander Philip Price D.F.M.


106 Sqdn., Royal Air Force

Died on 6th August 1941.

Buried Gendringen Cemetery, Holland, A. 2.                                                                                                


News has been officially received that Sergeant Wireless Operator/ air Gunner A.P.Price, D.F.M., son of Mr. and Mrs., Harry Price, of The Firs, Hathern, is missing following an operational flight. This gallant airman has had many thrilling experiences, having been engaged in operational flying since the commencement of the war, first on "leaflet raids" and reconnaissance. Sergeant, Price's award was in recognition for gallantly. His plane received serious engine damage from gun fire when only 500 feet from the ground. The crew performed a marvelous feat by bringing the plane across the North Sea and they managed to land safely on the coast. Sergeant Price was educated at Loughborough Grammar School. He was a member of the school 1stX1 soccer team. He joined the R.A.F, in 1937, when he was 19 years of age. His career with the Air Force has been marked with great success, he having thoroughly qualified in various examinations and tests for his responsible duties. He continued his sporting activities when he joined the Air Force and has been successful in long distance running in R.A.F, competitions. 


Mr. Price has received a letter from the Officer Commanding the Squadron to which Sergeant Price was attached, in which he says: - "Your son was one of the outstanding members of my Squadron, which, in the capacity of wireless instructor, he had served well for the past nine months and his loss leaves a space not easily filled. He only recently returned to flying duties and I have no doubt that he would have again displayed the characteristics of efficiency and courage which marked his first tour of operational flying and deservedly earned him the Distinguished Flying Medal. He was a most popular member of the Sergeants Mess and had many friends everywhere who were all deeply sorry to hear of his loss and all hope that there will soon be some good news concerning him. The father of Sergeant Price, Mr., H, Price, is chief clerk to Messrs, Owen Taylor and Mead, solicitors, Granby Street, Loughborough.

Private14892356 A. J. Priestley

2nd Bn., East Lancashire Regiment

Died on 5th January 1947, Aged 20.

Buried Ranchi War Cemetery, India, 8. J. 11.


Photo courtesy of Asia War

Corporal CH/X 1483 Frank Priestley 

H.M.S. Delhi., Royal Marines

Died on 20th November 1942, Aged 23.

Commemorated Chatham Naval Memorial, 65, 2.                                                                                       

Mr. and Mrs., Priestley of 36, Meadow Lane, Loughborough, have received news that their second son, Corporal Frank Priestley, of the Royal Marines, has died on active service. Corporal Priestley joined the Navy as a Marine on his 17th birthday and had he survived he would have been 24 years of age next January. 

After his training he was on H.M.S. Warspite until 1941, when he was wounded and came home on leave. He arrived on August 9th, the day his sister Olive was married to Sapper F Purdy, and there was great rejoicing, as they had not seen him at home for almost four years.  His parents have a wonderful collection of pictures he had of the many places he had visited. He was promoted corporal on October the 1st of this year. From the age of 14 to 17 he was employed as a panal beater at the willowbrook, Derby road.  His elder brother is also a marine and he was employed at the electricity works, Bridge Street. On December the 1st his parents received a letter of sympathy from the king and queen on their sad loss.

 Chatham Naval Memorial


Private 4859773  John Norman Priestley

1st Bn., Leicestershire Regiment

Died on 12th February 1942, Aged 23.

Commemorated Singapore Memorial, Column 66.

Mr. and Mrs., J, Priestley, 84a, Knight Thorpe Road, Loughborough, have been officially notified that their son, Private John Norman Priestley, the Leicestershire Regiment, is missing following the capitulation of Singapore. He served in the operations in Norway, where he was also reported missing, but he managed to escape into Sweden, where he was interned for several months. After returning to England, he eventually sailed for the Far East. He was educated at the College School of Art and Rosebery Street School.

Photo courtesy of Asia War

Sergeant 1517817  John Peter Priestley


166 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

Died on 26th June 1943, Aged 22.

Commemorated Runnymede Memorial


Sergeant Observer Jack Priestley aged 22, of Lime Avenue, Loughborough, has officially been posted missing after night operations over the Ruhr.  Before joining up two years ago he was employed by Hathernware, Ltd.  He was a prominent cricketer, and played for the Brush Works, who regarded him as one of their finest bowlers.


Sapper 2117196  Frederick James Purdy

626 Field Sqn., Royal Engineers

Died on 9th May 1945, Aged 25.

Buried Udine War Cemetery, Italy, II. C. 12.

Mrs. Purdy, of 15, Duke Street, Loughborough, has received news that her son, Sapper Fred Purdy, aged 25, has been killed as a result of an accident which occurred in the forward battle area of the Central Mediterranean Forces. Fred together with other members of his company was repairing a bridge, which would facilitate the crossing of the British Eighth Army into Austria, when the bridge collapsed.  This was on the day following VE- Day. Sapper Purdy, who had been in the Army for nearly five years, was employed at Messrs, Wm, Moss and Sons, Queens Road, prior to his enlistment.